Sunday, September 14, 2008

Teacher Gift Framed

Here's the framed version of the gift for my son's teacher. Thanks again to Tanya for the wonderful chart.DS has a new teacher now - he just started third grade. So far she seems nice; we'll see if she merits one of these at the end of the year. DS's first week was a bit dramatic - I got called to the school because he had a fever of 103. Of course this call came in while I was on my way to my haircut and color appointment, which was already three weeks beyond when it should have been. And my hairdresser was going on vacation the next day. So now I look kind of like Medusa, with my hair all over the place. At least there aren't snakes coming out of my head (yet).

Right now I'm working on a little freebie that should be finished soon, and I am trying to talk myself into giving a floss tag a try. Carol got the greatest looking device for putting in the eyelets. I was thinking of giving the one sold at Joann's a try - has anyone used it? The idea of putting a hole in my stitching scares the dickens out of me, but then so did making a needleroll, and I managed to handle that okay.

I have been reading all the Me, Myself and I RR plans with pleasure. Being a contractor isn't something I'm quite ready for, but it's such fun to go to open houses! I have a great old book by Dorothy Rodgers (wife of Richard Rodgers of Rodgers and Hammerstein fame, and mother of the woman who wrote Freaky Friday) called The House in My Head. She kept a kind of journal as she planned and built her dream house. I can't help but think of that book when I read the planning blogs. If I were to design one, I'd model it after a town near the border of Wales called Shrewsbury (are there any Brother Cadfael fans here?), where DH and I spent a wonderful trip over Thanksgiving one year. It has a castle, a narrow windy street called Grope Lane, a Tudor-style B&B where we stayed, and a friendly, non-smoking pub. I'm still too new at stitching to take on a project of this magnitude, but I'll be dreaming and scheming along with the rest of you in spirit!

7 comments:

Kathy A. said...

lovely finish there. I know what you mean about those neighborhoods. They sound so tempting and I have such wonderful ideas but.........

Kathy said...

Very nice finish. I am sure your son's teacher will love it.

I am with you on the RR. I have way too many big projects going plus have to many things I want to do, to take time to plan and build a neighborhood. Will just watch everyone eles's building projects.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

That's a lovely finish for Mrs. Pray :o)
And you should sign up your crew at MM & I :) It's really not so hard...there's a lot of elaborate plans...we need to see them come to fruition though :)
Had to smile at the Open Houses tho'

Sally said...

What a wonderful gift for your DS's teacher.

After 16 years of stitching I'm still not sure I'm ready for the MM&I SAL but I'm going to give it a go!

Rachel V said...

Looks great, Michele! I am still debating the "RR" also

staci said...

Lovely job on the teacher gift :) And you should sign up for the MM&IRR~~isn't the planning and dreaming half the fun?! Who knows when I'll get mine done!

Carol R said...

Great teacher's gift I am sure she loved it!