Saturday, March 13, 2010

A Finish, and a Finished Finish

Necessities Sampler
Little House Needleworks
Unknown 28 count linen
DMC Threads
Here's my latest project - this was an easy and pleasant piece to stitch. I haven't decided what to do with it yet - it might make a very pretty little pillow. I went to JoAnn Fabrics to look for material, but couldn't find anything I liked. JoAnn's is the only fabric store around here - the wonderful quilt shop I used to patronize years ago in Cambridge is no more. I find JoAnn's fabric selection to be rather disappointing in general. I'd like to try buying online but I'm concerned that the colors on my monitor may not be the same as the actual fabric colors. If you order fabric online, are you happy with your choices?
Victorian Christmas Motif
Joan Elliott
The World of Cross Stitching Issue 158
This is my first ornament! Remember when I was asking how you adhere stitching to felt when it's fringed? I was stumped until I saw a fringed piece in CrossStitch and Needlework magazine - they suggested using acid-free double-sided tape (scrapbooking tape). It works like a charm! My fringe isn't totally straight but for a first effort I'm pleased with it. (The top doesn't seem to show the pinked edges but they are there. It was my first time using pinking shears too). Thanks to Michele for her encouragement in trying this finishing method.

My husband and son went to Florida for a few days to visit DH's mother, and they left me behind to have some "mommy time." I have a meatloaf in the oven (they hate meatloaf and I love it) and an evening of stitching and movie-watching planned. What could be more perfect?

6 comments:

Kathy A. said...

I think it would make a pretty little needlebook!
Your ornament is lovely. Double sided tape sounds like a plan.

Teri said...

Your ornament looks great, and I love the new finish too! Enjoy that meatloaf and your stitching time this weekend!

Nic said...

Your finishes look great! I would never have thought of scrapbook tape, thanks for the tip!

staci said...

Congrats on your beautiful finishes Michele! I hope you enjoyed your "alone" time...sounds like you had it planned out perfectly!

Sally said...

Lovely finishes Michele.

Michele said...

I love your LHN finish! Can't wait to see what you decide to do with it.

wooo hoo!!! you got your first ornament done! It looks great! I'll be trying the tape too .. it doesn't show through at all?

Mommy time is soooo important isn't it :) yummy meatloaf .. love cold meatloaf sandwichs the next day .. what movie(s) did you see??